It’s not just technology that is changing daily
Our society today is sicker and more obese than ever before, and it could be that the problem is not because we are glued to our electronic devices more and more each day. Once you start looking, it can be very confusing to maneuver through labels, articles, news programs, advertisements and branding about what we eat to determine what’s really good for your body. We found some information that will surprise you, but will make perfect sense. Like us, we know you will want to hit the delete button on these foods in your diet – and help others be heathier by spreading the word.
- 1. Fruit Juice. This includes regular store-bought juice, as well as fresh juice. Packaged juice is usually pasteurized, which essentially means all the nutrients are removed, because pasteurizing itself is the process of heating a substance to rid it of the microorganisms that cause it to ferment. I don’t know about you, but I think I’d rather have something go rancid sooner than to consume it knowing that everything healthy has been sucked out of it so it lasts a little longer.Even fresh juice pose problems because it causes huge spikes in glucose levels, which can cause dizziness, shakiness, headaches, nervousness, and difficulty concentrating, among other things. Drinking a glass of juice is like consuming all the fruits contained in it. That can be a lot of fruit when you look at what it takes to make. When would you sit down and eat 5 oranges in one sitting?Not only that, with all that glucose, and the body not being accustomed to metabolizing so much at once, the fructose contained in the juice is then converted into fat because there is no other place for it to go.
- 2. Artificial Sweeteners. Mmmmm…. Not only is this synthetic “food” linked to allergies, cancers, tumors, headaches, seizures, and weight gain (yes, gain!), but it’s been shown to cause the very disease that doctors recommend it for: diabetes! Use real sugar, sparingly.
- 3. Vegetable Oils. This is truly one of the worst things you can put into your body. It, plus canola oil, are typically genetically modified and partially hydrogenated (a process that adds a catalyst made mostly of soft metals to create a “plastic” property), and has been linked to: birth defects, digestion problems, heart disease, learning disabilities, obesity, skin reactions and vision problems, and more. Try a healthy, organic olive oil or cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil instead.
- 4. The age-old debate: margarine or butter? Guess what margarine is made out of? Vegetable oil. Re-read above. Butter is made from animal fat, and though it is high in saturated fat, remember that saturated fats increase good cholesterol and lower bad. Butter has high amounts of Vitamins A, E and K2 – which reduces the risks of cancer, osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseases. Seems like a no-brainer.
- 5. Soy Protein. Wait – like tofu? Yes, like tofu. In America, practically all soy is unfermented and has been found to be genetically modified, and is sprayed with pesticides. When soy is unfermented, it’s hard to digest as most people lack the enzymes needed to break it down. This causes gas, bloating, indigestion – similar to those that are lactose intolerant. And, to add fuel to the fire, unfermented soy has been linked to hay fever, cystic fibrosis, asthma, kidney disease, thyroid problems and many cancers.
- 6. Farmed Fish. Most farmed fish is fed genetically modified food. Non-profit organizations have found that up to seven out of ten farmed salmon purchased at grocery stores in several major cities around the US, have found PCB’s in the fish. PCB is polychlorinated biphenyls, which is a highly toxic chemical compound known to cause skin diseases, birth defects and cancer.Farmed fish can contain up to 40 times more PCB’s than other foods, and have been seen to also contain other toxins in the form of pesticides and waste byproducts.
- 7. Conventional Meat. Even non-organic lean meat is genetically modified in many cases. Not only that, but remember: you are what you eat. If you are eating meat from animals that are being fed food that is stuffed with hormones and full of pesticides, guess what you are? And just because meat is grass-fed doesn’t ensure healthy and free of pesticides or other harmful ingredients. Do your homework and find a trusted source for your meat. You won’t be sorry.
- 8. Table Salt. Did you know that table salt actually is originally made from sea salt? Manufacturers take the sea salt, take away all its natural minerals, load on several additives (including aluminum!) to dry it, and then cook it to 1200 degrees and call it done. The iodine, originally present, is now potassium iodide – in potentially toxic amounts. Oh, and after all that cooking, it’s turned purple so it is then bleached white. Better to stick with the original, such as Celtic Sea Salt.
- 9. Microwaved Popcorn. What could be unhealthy about popcorn, you ask? The bag it’s cooked in! The bags are coated with a synthetic compound that is used to make polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon). The butter is fake flavoring typically, that contains a compound called diacetyl, which can cause serious lung disease when taken in large quantities. Solution: buy your own organic popcorn and cook it the old fashioned way, in a heavy stainless steel pan with a cover with organic butter.
- 10. Milk. Previously one of the most touted health foods around, conventional milk has been outed. As with other foods and beverages on this list, the biggest issue with drinking milk is due to the genetic modification of the feed and hormones given to the cows. Of course, these toxins are relayed to those consuming the product. Like juice, conventional milk is pasteurized, so any nutrition previously present has been tossed out the window. And because the lactase enzyme is destroyed in the pasteurization process, milk becomes very difficult to digest, since lactase is needed to break down lactose in the body.The National Institute of Health has reported that “approximately 65% of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy”. This makes perfect sense. After all, do you know of any cows (or other animals, for that matter) that drink milk after they wean from their mothers?
Keeping informed and educated, reading labels and talking to your chiropractor or other nutritional expert, will help make the right choices easier to discern. Our world changes on a daily basis, in almost every capacity. It’s up to each of us to change with it, to look around and observe what we see, to ask questions and seek answers to have a better understanding, and to make the needed changes to adjust so we, our families and our friends, can always come out on top.
We are happy to help. Please call us with your questions.
Dr. Dana Ballerini
1442 Irvine Blvd, Suite 101
Tustin, CA 92780